Architects and Landscape Architects contact information

301 South Park, 4th Floor (map)
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: (406) 841-2305

Board Office Contacts:

For information on applications and licensing contact:
Telephone: (406) 841-2202

For information on renewals, license verifications, and name changes contact:
Telephone: (406) 444-6880

For information on continuing education:
Telephone: (406) 841-2204

For information on filing a complaint against a licensee contact:
Alicia Driscoll, Compliance Specialist
Telephone: (406) 841-2357 E-mail:

Board Management:
Grace Berger, Executive Officer
Board Management Bureau
Telephone: (406) 841-2244

  • Board Info.
  • License Info.
  • Regulations
  • Applications / Forms
  • Complaints
  • Services / Links
  • FAQ






Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a license?
How do I make an address change?
Please use the address change form located under the forms tab on this website or notify the board via fax or US mail.
How do I make a name change? 
Name changes must be requested in writing with documentation of the name change included (marriage license, divorce decree etc.).  If you would like a copy of your license in your new name you must include a $5.00 check or money order for a duplicate license.
When does my license expire?
The architect license expires June 30 and is renewed yearly.
The landscape architect license expires June 30 and is renewed yearly.
Please see: License Renewal Information for additional information.
How do I get a duplicate license if I lost mine? 
Send the board office a written request for another license along with a $5.00 fee.
How do I obtain an official license verification from the board and is there a fee for that service?
An official verification must be requested in writing through the mail or by using the form found on the "forms" tab of this website. The fee for each official verification is $20. Official Verification Request Form
What happens if I let my license expire? 
You will have up to two years to renew and will need to pay the renewal fees and late fees and submit continuing education.
What happens if I let my license lapse past two years?
Your license will be terminated and you will need to completely reapply if you intend to practice in Montana.
What is e-Pass and how do I use it?
All on-line commerce functions for the State of Montana are now using e-Pass as an additional layer of security to protect your information.  You will need to set up an e-Pass account to renew your license, purchase fishing or hunting licenses, etc. more information on e-Pass.
How do I find license or discipline information about a licensed individual?
You can go directly to the License Lookup System.  This site is a primary source for verification of licensed individual’s credentials.
How do I obtain a list of licensees? 
You can go directly to the License Download System.  This service allows you to purchase complete lists of individuals, businesses, and contractors licensed with the State of Montana through the Business Standards Division by using a credit/debit card.
How do I apply for a license if I am already licensed in another state?
You can download an architects application or landscape architects application and in addition pay the application fee.
How do I obtain the national exam information?
Architect applicants will want to contact National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
Landscape architect applicants will want to contact the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB)
Are there continuing education requirements?
Beginning January 1, 2015, each licensed architect shall obtain at least 12 hours of continuing education (CE) annually to renew the license. The CE requirement is based on a calendar year, beginning on January 1 and ending December 31 of each year. Continuing education is not required for licensees renewing their licenses for the first time or who have been granted emeritus status. The complete CE rule can be found by clicking HERE.
What is Administrative Suspension?
You can download the Administrative Suspension FAQ's here