Board of Athletic Trainers contact information

301 South Park, 4th Floor (map)
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: (406) 841-2305


Board Office Contacts:

For information on applications and licensing contact:
Telephone: (406) 841-2202

For information on renewals, license verifications, and name changes contact:
Telephone: (406) 841-2205

For information on continuing education:
Telephone: (406) 841-2204

For information on filing a complaint against a licensee contact:
LaVelle Potter, Compliance Specialist
Telephone: (406) 841-2362

Board Management:
Cyndi Reichenbach, Executive Officer
Board Management Bureau
Telephone: (406) 841-2392

  • Board Information
  • License Information
  • Regulations
  • Forms
  • Complaints
  • Services / Links
  • FAQ






Montana Board of Athletic Trainers Frequently Asked Questions

Specific questions regarding licensure as an Athletic Trainer



1.  How do I change my name on my license?  Name changes must be requested in writing with documentation of your legal name change included (copy of marriage license, divorce decree, etc.).  If you would like a copy of your license in your new name, you must include a check or money order for $5 for a duplicate license. <return to top>

2.  I’ve moved since my last renewal and need to change my address.  How do I do it?  Please use the address change form located under the “Forms” tab on this website, or send a signed written notice of address change via US Mail or fax.  All licensees are required to notify the Board of an address change within 10 days. <return to top>

3.  What is e-Pass and how do I use it?  All on-line commerce functions for the State of Montana are now using e-Pass as an additional layer of security to protect your information.  You will need to set up an e-Pass account to renew your license, purchase fishing or hunting licenses, etc. more information on e-Pass. <return to top>

4.  How do I find out license or discipline information about a licensed individual?  You can go directly to the License Lookup System.  This site is a primary source for verification of licensed individual’s credentials. The Montana Department of Labor & Industry, business Standards Division, presents Licensee Lookup information as a service to the public.  The Division relies on information provided by licensees to be true and correct, as required by statute.  It is an act of unprofessional conduct for a licensee knowingly to provide erroneous information to the Division.  The Department of Labor & Industry makes no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content of this website. Assessing the accuracy and reliability of information obtained from this website is solely the responsibility of the user. If you have questions regarding information found within this Licensee Lookup website, please contact the specific licensing board directly. Please note that some disciplinary actions against licensees may not appear immediately on the website. Appeals, effective dates of orders and other administrative processes may delay posting on the website. Please contact the specific licensing board directly if you require discipline information that occurred prior to July 1, 1996. <return to top>

Questions regarding licensure as an Athletic Trainer

5.  Do I need to be licensed in Montana if I am temporarily in the state for a tournament or game?  No, you do not need to be licensed in Montana as an Athletic Trainer if you are only here for a very short period of time, such as traveling with a team for a tournament or a game.  However, if you are coming to Montana for an extended period, such as working with a team for several weeks or months (summer baseball season would be an example), you do need to be licensed and must apply in advance of your employment here. <return to top>

6.  What are the requirements to be licensed in Montana?  Licensure requirements can be found under the License Information tab of this website.  Applications can also be found under this tab as well. <return to top>

7.  If I’m a member of the National Athletic Trainers Association or Montana Athletic Trainers Association, do I still need a license?  Yes.  Professional licensure and membership in an association are two different things.  Licensure is required by law, association membership is voluntary.  In order to be licensed in Montana as an Athletic Trainer, you need to maintain your Board of Certification for Athletic Trainers certification, and it must be current when you apply and when you renew your license. <return to top>

8.  Does the Board require continuing education in order to keep my license?  The Montana Board of Athletic Trainers has determined that the continuing education requirements under the Board of Certification are sufficient and they do not require additional continuing education.  You must have a current BOC card in order to apply or renew your Athletic Training license. <return to top>

9.  If I’m interested in being on the Board, how do I apply?  Board Members are appointed by the Governor as openings occur and boards are part of the Executive Branch of Government.  You can apply to be a board member by submitting an application or letter of interest.  For further information you can go to Appointee Application. <return to top>

10.  I heard the license fee could change, is this true?  The original legislation that established the board in 2007 called for a three year licensing period; in other words, once a person received their license, it was good for three years.  Fees collected by the Board needed to cover the three year period.  The Board realized this posed an economic hardship on licensees and requested the Department of Labor & Industry make a request to amend the statute during the 2009 Legislative Session and change the renewal period to annual.  This change passed under HB 80; however it will not go into effect until October 1, 2009.  The Board cannot change fees until they are legally able to do so. <return to top>