Nursing contact information


301 South Park, 4th Floor (map)
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: (406) 841-2305

Board Office Contacts:
For information on applications and licensing contact:
Telephone: (406) 841-2202

For information on renewals, license verifications, and name changes contact: 
Telephone: (406) 444-6880

For information on continuing education:
Telephone: (406) 841-2380

For information on filing a complaint against a licensee contact:
Heidi Kaufman, Compliance Specialist
Telephone: (406) 841-2238

Board Management:
Cynthia Gustafson, PhD, RN Executive Officer
Board Management Bureau
Telephone: (406) 841-2380

  • Board Info.
  • License
  • Regulations
  • Forms
  • Complaints
  • Services
  • Education
  • Resources
  • FAQ







Montana Board of Nursing Frequently Asked Questions




1.How do I get a license?

Click on the License tab, choose the appropriate license type from the choices on the left, and you can apply online or by a paper application. If you have licensing questions, please contact the licensing unit at and 406-444-5711.

<return to top>

2. I have recently moved. Do I need to change my address?

Yes. According to ARM 24-159-2301(1)(b), all nurses shall notify the board office of any change in address within ten days of the change. Failure to notify the board of an address change may result in a fine.

To change your address: Click on the Board Information or Forms tabs, choose Address Change from the choices on the left, complete the Address Change Request Form, and Submit your request. You may also mail your request to: Montana Board of Nursing, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513, or fax your request to 406-841-2305. Requests must be in writing.

<return to top>

3. I have recently married or got divorced. Do I have to change my name?

No. The Board of Nursing does not require that you change your name. However, the name displayed on your name badge MUST match your name as it appears on your license.

To change your name: Click on the Board Information or Forms tabs, choose Name Change Form from the choices on the left, complete the Name Change Request Form, save or print the form. Submit your request either by email to, by mail to: Montana Board of Nursing, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513, or fax your request to 406-841-2305. Include one of the following with your request: a copy of your social security card or drivers license reflecting your new name, or a copy of the legal document changing your name (marriage license, divorce decree, etc).

<return to top>

4. My employer asked me for a copy of my license. Is this a requirement of the Montana Board of Nursing?

No. The Board of Nursing does not require that you have a copy of your license on file with your employer, in fact, the Board would discourage this practice as official verification of your license should come from the Board’s online verification system either through the Montana Licensee Lookup system at or the national system through (Quick Confirm).

<return to top>

5. I have recently had a baby and would like to stay home for a few years. Am I required to work a specific number of hours or maintain CE credits to keep my license active?

You do not have to work a certain number of hours to keep your license active. But you will need to have 24 contact hours every 2 years to maintain an active LPN, RN or APRN license. A random audit of licensees will be performed to determine compliance with these rules. The current continuing education rules are on the Regulations tab above.

<return to top>

6. I have misplaced my license, how do I request a duplicate?

You do not need to worry about having a paper copy of your license.  An employer or reference can verify your license through two online systems: the Montana Licensee Lookup system at or the national system through (Quick Confirm). The Board encourages use of the online system and not keeping a paper copy of your license as there have been instances in which a paper copy of a license was altered and used to falsify an actual license.

<return to top>

7. I am moving from Montana to a state which has compact licensure. Do I need to obtain licensure in that state?

The Montana Board of Nursing is a compact state, effective October 1, 2015. If Montana is your primary state of residence, you may work in other compact states under your Montana Multi-State license. If you are moving to another compact state and that state will be your primary state of residence, you will need to become licensed in that state.

<return to top>

8. I work as a telephonic nurse. Am I required to have a Montana nursing license?

Yes. Anytime you are providing nursing services to persons residing in Montana, either in person or via telehealth, you are required to hold an active Montana Nursing license or a multistate privilege to practice in Montana.

<return to top>

9. I am applying for licensure in another state. How do I obtain a license verification from the Board of Nursing?

The Board of Nursing is a participant of NURSYS, an online national verification system. All information, including licensure, education and discipline, are reported weekly. Register with NURSYS at Inform the licensing specialist in the state where you are trying to obtain licensure know that you have registered with NURSYS, and the licensing specialist in that state can obtain verification from the NURSYS website.

<return to top>

10. I would like a copy of the rules and statutes (considered the Nurse Practice Act) for the Montana Board of Nursing. How do I get a copy?

The Nurse Practice Act is considered to be both the statutes and administrative rules of the Board of Nursing. Click on the Regulations tab, and choose either Statute or Administrative Rules. The Office of Public Instruction (OPI) maintains the Statutes and may be contacted for a hardcopy. The Secretary of State maintains the Administrative Rules, and an eBook or printer friendly version is available.

<return to top>

11. I would like to attend the next Board of Nursing meeting. May I attend? How do I know when it is? Can I request a topic be added to the agenda?

The Board of Nursing meetings are all open to the public.  You are able to attend in person or may listen via phone conference.  To review the meeting agendas, click on the Board Information tab, and choose Board Meetings from the left.  Then click on Scheduled and Proposed Meetings and a list of the types of meetings, dates, agendas, and minutes are available.

To request an item be added to the agenda, contact Cynthia Gustafson, Executive Director, at 406-841-2380,, or send a letter to the board office at Board of Nursing, Attn: Cynthia Gustafson, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513.  If your topic is added to the agenda, you will receive notification approximately 10 business days prior to the meeting.

<return to top>

12. My company is trying to recruit new nurses. Can we obtain a list of licensed nurses in Montana?

Yes. Lists are available for purchase and can be sorted by license type, license status, statewide, out-of-state, or county. Click on the Services tab, choose Download List of Licensees from the left, then click on License Download System. You are able to choose your search criteria and see the fee prior to downloading the list.

<return to top>

13. I am a licensed nurse and have witnessed a nurse abusing a patient. Do I need to file a complaint?

Yes. Anytime you know of an infraction of the Board of Nursing rules, you are required to file a complaint. From the Board website: go to the Complaints tab and you will find all the information you need to file a complaint. Failure to do so may be violating the Board’s administrative rule 24.159.2301 Conduct of Nurses.

<return to top>

14. I would like to file a complaint against a licensed nurse. How do I do this?

To file a complaint: Click on the Complaints tab. You can review the complaint process and download the complaint form which must be completed. To contact the compliance department, call 406-841-2238, email at, or mail to Board of Nursing, Attn: Compliance Dept., PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513.

<return to top>

15. I am a licensed nurse in Montana and am in the Military Reserves/National Guard. I have been called to active service. What do I need to do to ensure that my license continues to be valid?

The Board of Nursing does not require that you report your activation. However, as stated in 37-1-138, MCA, if you wish to have your renewal fees waived, you must provide the board office a copy of your activation papers and request that your license be placed on inactive status. Upon return from active duty, you must provide the board office with a copy of your discharge documents. At this time the board office will evaluate your documents and notify you of the next step.

16. What is the renewal period for licenses?

All RN, LPN, and APRN licenses expire on December 31st of even numbered years. Medication Aide I and II licenses expire on March 31st annually.

<return to top>

17. I think I forgot to renew my license. What do I do now?

You may renew your license up to 2 years after the expiration date: click on the License tab, and choose License Renewal Information on the left. You are able to renew online with an e-Check or Credit Card by clicking on Renew Online or going to and login in with your User Name and Password. If you do not know your User Name or Password, please contact the board office. You may also download or print a renewal form and mail it in with a check or money order made payable to the Montana Board of Nursing for the appropriate fee.

If your license has been expired for longer than 2 years, you must reapply for licensure.

<return to top>

18. I am an administrator of an out-of-state nursing program, does this program need approval from the Board?

No, your program does not need approval from the MT Board of Nursing to admit MT students. Your program ONLY needs to seek Board approval if you are arranging for a clinical experience in MT for your students. IF your program leads to initial licensure as an LPN or RN, then you need to seek approval using this rule: ARM 24.159.608. IF your program is an RN to BSN or graduate level nursing program, you DO NOT NEED to have approval from the Board to provide clinical experiences in MT. You DO NEED to make sure the student has an active license in MT as these clinical experiences are providing nursing care to MT patients. Your faculty members will also need a MT license IF they are providing direct patient care as part of their responsibility as an instructor. Providing patient care can be by direct hands on methods or through teleconferencing. Instructors who are consulting with the student and preceptor about the learning experience and are not providing direct patient care do not need a MT nursing license.

<return to top>

19. I live in Montana but go to a school in another state. Am I still able to fulfill my clinical requirements in Montana facilities?

The Board of Nursing shall approve students enrolled in programs outside of the state to fulfill their clinical hours in Montana facilities. See ARM 24.159.608 for specific instructions and requirements to make the request to the Board. This rule ONLY applies to nursing programs leading to initial licensure as an RN or LPN, not RN to BSN programs.

<return to top>

20. I live in Montana but went to school in Canada because the school was closer. Am I considered an Internationally Educated applicant?

Yes. Anytime an applicant is educated outside of the United States they are considered to be internationally educated and must complete all requirements of an internationally educated applicant. See ARM 24.159.1029 for PN applicants and ARM 24.159.1229 for RN applicants.

<return to top

21. I recently graduated from an approved nursing program. What do I do now?

When you have graduated from an approved nursing program, you will need to complete the Board of Nursing examination application and register with Pearson VUE. You may find the application and instructions on the License tab above, and choose the appropriate license type from the left. To register for the NCLEX visit

<return to top

22.How far do I have to travel to take the NCLEX and what day is the test given?

An applicant for licensure by examination can take the NCLEX at ANY Pearson VUE testing site. The applicant need NOT take the NCLEX at the Montana sites in Helena or Billings to be licensed in Montana. You will work with Pearson VUE to determine the testing site and time to take the NCLEX exam. To register for the NCLEX visit

<return to top

23. I am an LPN. Can I be a charge nurse?

Refer to the Board of Nursing statute 37-8-102 Definition (8b) to review this role specific to a long-term care facility.

<return to top

24.I have just graduated from my RN program. Am I required to give up my LPN license?

No. The Board of Nursing does not require that you relinquish your LPN license when you are granted an RN license.

<return to top

25. How do I contact the Board of Nursing?


Phone: 406-444-5711 for Licensing questions.  For questions related to practice, rules, education call Cynthia Gustafson, Executive Director, at 406-841-2380.

Mail: Montana Board of Nursing, 301 S. Park Ave. 4th Floor, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513.

26. What is an Administrative Suspension (FAQs related to Administrative Suspension):

When can my license be administratively suspended?

During the 2015 Legislative Session, Senate Bill 76 was passed and entered into law effective July 1, 2015. The law allows for licensing boards and programs to administratively suspend a license for the following:

  1. Noncompliance with requirements for continuing education (CE), certification, reporting requirements, or other qualifications necessary for continued licensure as established by an audit,
  2. Failure to respond to an audit for CE, certification, or other qualifications necessary for continued licensure,
  3. Non-sufficient funds (NSF) in an account used to pay for an administrative fee, board or program fee, or fine,
  4. Reasonable grounds exist to believe the licensee did not possess the qualifications for initial issuance of the license, or
  5. Failure to comply with any term of a final order imposed by a licensing board or program.

How can I keep my license from being administratively suspended?
  1. Comply with all continued licensure requirements, such as CE, certification, insurance, and reporting requirements.
  2. Keep your address and contact information up-to-date with the board or program in order to receive important information regarding your license and potential issues or audits you are asked to address. See Mont. Code Ann. § 37-1-309(2). You must notify the board or program in writing of any change in your address within 30 days of the change. You will not meet this obligation by relying on a postal forwarding address notification.
  3. If notified by your banking institution or credit card company that your licensing fees or payment to the board or program has failed, contact the board or program immediately to address the deficiency.
  4. Submit a complete application with all supporting documentation from the source as confirmation.
  5. Comply with all terms of a final order within the prescribed period.

I received a Notice of Deficiency Determination that my license will be administratively suspended if I do not cure a deficiency within 60 days from the date of the letter. How do I correct this?

Once a Notice of Deficiency Determination is sent to your most recent address on file with the board or program, you will have 60 days to cure the deficiency as indicated in the letter. You should contact the unit identified in the letter that processed your deficiency determination (such as the Audit, Compliance, or Fiscal unit) and immediately begin steps to cure the deficiency. You must submit a copy of the Notice of Deficiency Determination letter with the evidence that you have cured the deficiency prior to the 61st day or your license will be administratively suspended until the cure is accepted. Simply contacting the unit and providing partially or unacceptable evidence of curing the deficiency will not extend the 60 days.

How do I get my administratively suspended license reinstated?

You must submit a copy of the Notice of Deficiency Determination letter sent to you with proof of curing the deficiency along with a reinstatement fee of $200. If your administrative suspension was related to a NSF payment, you must submit a cashier’s check or money order for all fees. You may also be required to submit documents as evidence you have cured other types of deficiencies. If you satisfactorily cure the deficiency, your administratively suspended license will be transferred to the status prior to the administrative suspension, as long as you timely renew your license and are not otherwise subject to a restricted license status.

How long will my license be on administrative suspension?

After the 60-day opportunity to cure the deficiency, your license will be administratively suspended until you cure the deficiency and the license is current. If you fail to renew your administratively suspended license, the license will expire and eventually terminate. If you continue to renew your license, the license will remain administratively suspended until you cure the deficiency and comply with any additional qualifications for continued licensure.

What is a non-sufficient funds (NSF) payment?

A NSF payment is described as any of the following:

  1. overdraft,
  2. closed account,
  3. stopped payment,
  4. invalid credit card number or expiration date, or
  5. payment not authorized by customer.

If I have a NSF payment, can I pay the amounts owed with a credit card or personal check?

If you are curing a payment issue with the Business Standards Division (BSD) for a check or credit card used to pay a fee or fine and the payment was sent back as NSF, you will be required to pay both the original amount due and a $30 NSF fee with a money order or cashier’s check. If you are paying only the reinstatement fee and no other fees or fine, you may use a personal check.

Will I have to renew my license while it is administratively suspended?

You may renew your license for 50% of the license renewal fee to keep your license from expiring and eventually terminating. If you do not renew your license, the license will terminate two years after the license expiration date regardless of an administrative suspension in effect. If your license terminates, you may not reinstate the license. You must make a new original application based on current licensing qualifications. This may require you to meet additional education, examination, experience, or other requirements. If you cure a deficiency related to an administratively suspended license after the license has expired, you will be required to submit proof of continuing education, certification, or other qualifications for continued licensure. See Mont. Code Ann. § 37-1-131.

Can I appeal the decision to administratively suspend my license?

Yes. You must send a written request to the board or program so it can be placed on the next board meeting agenda or addressed by program staff. Along with your written request, you may provide any information you want the board or program to review. If you are not satisfied with the board’s or program’s final order, you may seek judicial review in district court. IMPORTANT: Due to the timing of board meetings, you may not be able to have the board review your appeal before the date your license is scheduled to be administratively suspended. The administrative suspension will automatically occur after the 60-day cure period, even if the board or program has not heard your appeal.

What happens to my license while I appeal the decision?

Your license will continue to be administratively suspended until you cure the deficiency that led to the suspension or until your appeal is successful.

Will my administrative suspension be reported as disciplinary action or on Licensee Lookup?

The license status of “administrative suspension” will appear on Licensee Lookup, or on any license verification issued by BSD, with a clear indication the matter is not connected to the delivery of services or based on competency of the licensee’s practice and is considered to be a technical or administrative violation rather than a disciplinary action. Staff will report administrative suspensions under federal regulations implementing database or data bank reporting using the same disclaimer.

<return to top>