Optometry contact information

301 South Park, 4th Floor (map)
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: (406) 841-2305

Board Office Contacts:

For information on applications and licensing contact:
Telephone: (406) 841-2202
E-mail: DLIBSDLicensingUnitB@mt.gov

For information on renewals, license verifications, and name changes contact:  
Telephone: (406) 444-6880
E-mail: DLIBSDLicensingUnitA@mt.gov

For information on continuing education:
Telephone: (406) 841-2204
E-mail: DLIBSDAuditingUnit@mt.gov

For information on filing a complaint against a licensee contact:
Alicia Driscoll, Compliance Specialist
Telephone: (406) 841-2357
E-mail: dlibsdcomplaints@mt.gov

Board Management:
Linda Grief, Executive Officer
Board Management Bureau
Telephone: (406) 841-2395
E-mail: dlibsdopt@mt.gov

  • Board Info.
  • License Info.
  • Regulations
  • Forms
  • Complaints
  • Services / Links
  • Cont. Ed.
  • FAQ






Approved Continuing Education Information
You may contact the board office for more information

All licensees shall complete a minimum of 36 hours of board approved continuing education every two years.

Of the 36 hours up to four hours of practice management; and twelve hours of correspondence course or internet course continuing education credit every two years will be allowed.

The board may conduct random audits of 20 percent of all renewed licensees. It is the responsibility of each optometrist to maintain the optometrist's own records of participation and completion, and make them available upon request. Random audits will be conducted in odd-numbered years.

The following Administrative Rule describes the continuing education approved by the Board. Continuing education requiring approval by the Board will be reviewed by the Board at a regularly scheduled meeting.


(1) Educational programs approved by the board shall be affiliated with national, regional, or state optometric associations, academies, colleges of optometry or approved by the ARBO's Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (COPE).

(a) Any other continuing education course(s) not covered in (1) must be submitted by the licensee and have prior approval by the board. Any course not submitted to the board and approved prior to attendance shall not be allowed for credit. The course program or syllabus, and information on the credentials and qualifications of the course presenter must accompany the application approval form.

(2) Continuing education courses offered and completed on the Internet or via other similar electronic means must comply with all the requirements in (1).

Application for Accreditation of Continuing Education

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a license?
You can download an Optometrist license application.
How do I make an address change?
Please use the address change form located under the forms tab on this website or notify the board via fax or US mail.
How do I make a name change? 
Name changes must be requested in writing with documentation of the name change included (marriage license, divorce decree etc.).  If you would like a copy of your license in your new name you must include a $5.00 check or money order for a duplicate license.
When does my license expire?
The optometrist license expires July 2 and is renewed yearly.
Please see: License Renewal Information for additional information.
How do I get a duplicate license if I lost mine? 
Send the board office a written request for another license along with a $5.00 fee.
How do I obtain an official license verification from the board and is there a fee for that service?
An official verification must be requested in writing through the mail or by using the form found on the "forms" tab of this website. The fee for each official verification is $20. Official Verification Request Form
What happens if I let my license expire? 
You will have up to two years to renew and will need to pay the renewal fees and late fees and submit continuing education.
What happens if I let my license lapse past two years?
Your license will be terminated and you will need to completely reapply if you intend to practice in Montana.
What is e-Pass and how do I use it?
All on-line commerce functions for the State of Montana are now using e-Pass as an additional layer of security to protect your information.  You will need to set up an e-Pass account to renew your license, purchase fishing or hunting licenses, etc. more information on e-Pass.
How do I find license or discipline information about a licensed individual?
You can go directly to the License Lookup System.  This site is a primary source for verification of licensed individual’s credentials.
How do I obtain a list of licensees? 
You can go directly to the License Download System.  This service allows you to purchase complete lists of individuals, businesses, and contractors licensed with the State of Montana through the Business Standards Division by using a credit/debit card.
How do I apply for a license if I am already licensed in another state?
You can download an Optometrist license application and in addition pay the application fee.
How do I obtain the national exam information?
Are there continuing education requirements?
Yes, 36 credit hours every 2 years
What is Administrative Suspension?
You can download the Administrative Suspension FAQ's here