Physical Therapy Examiners contact information

301 South Park, 4th Floor (map)
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: (406) 841-2305

Board Office Contacts:

For information on applications and licensing contact:
Telephone: (406) 841-2202

For information on renewals, license verifications, and name changes contact:  
Telephone: (406) 841-2205

For information on continuing education:
Telephone: (406) 841-2204

For information on filing a complaint against a licensee contact:
Jennifer Schofield, Compliance Specialist
Telephone: (406) 841-2386

Board Management:
Linda Grief, Executive Officer
Board Management Bureau
Telephone: (406) 841-2395

  • Board Info.
  • License Info.
  • Regulations
  • Forms
  • Complaints
  • Services / Links
  • CE
  • FAQ






Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a license or temporary license?
You can download an application here.

How do I apply for a temporary license?  You can download an application here and in addition pay the temporary fee along with the application fee.
How do I make an address change?
Please use the address change form located under the forms tab on this website or notify the board via fax or US mail.
How do I make a name change? 
Name changes must be requested in writing with documentation of the name change included (marriage license, divorce decree etc.).  If you would like a copy of your license in your new name you must include a $5.00 check or money order for a duplicate license.
When does my license expire?
The license expires April 1 and is renewed yearly.
Please see: License Renewal Information for additional information.
How do I get a duplicate license if I lost mine? 
Send the board office a written request for another license along with a $5.00 fee.
What happens if I let my license expire? 
You will have up to two years to renew and will need to pay the renewal fees and late fees and submit continuing education.
What happens if I let my license lapse past two years?
Your license will be terminated and you will need to completely reapply if you intend to practice in Montana.
What is e-Pass and how do I use it?
All on-line commerce functions for the State of Montana are now using e-Pass as an additional layer of security to protect your information.  You will need to set up an e-Pass account to renew your license, purchase fishing or hunting licenses, etc. more information on e-Pass.
How do I find license or discipline information about a licensed individual?
You can go directly to the License Lookup System.  This site is a primary source for verification of licensed individual’s credentials.
How do I obtain a list of licensees? 
You can go directly to the License Download System.  This service allows you to purchase complete lists of individuals, businesses, and contractors licensed with the State of Montana through the Business Standards Division by using a credit/debit card.
How do I apply for a license if I am already licensed in another state?
You can download an application here and in addition pay the endorsement fee along with the application fee.
How do I apply for a license if I am foreign trained?
You can download an application here and in addition submit your test of English as foreign language (TOEFL) scores and education evaluation by the Foreign Credentialing Commission of Physical Therapy (FCCPT).
Do I have to take a test?
Yes, there are two tests.  One is the national physical therapy or assistant exam (NPTE or NPTAE) and the other is Montana’s jurisprudence exam.  The jurisprudence exam is an open book exam based upon the statutes and rules for physical therapy.
How do I obtain my test scores if I have already taken the national exam?
Are there continuing education requirements?
Yes, thirty (30) hours. You can find more information by clicking the "CE" tab.
What is Administrative Suspension?
You can download the Administrative Suspension FAQ's here.