Board of Respiratory Care Practitioners contact information


301 South Park, 4th Floor (map)
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: (406) 841-2305

Board Office Contacts:

For information on applications and licensing contact:
Telephone: (406) 841-2202

For information on renewals, license verifications, and name changes contact: 
Telephone: (406) 841-2205

For information on continuing education:
Telephone: (406) 841-2204

For information on filing a complaint against a licensee contact:
LaVelle Potter, Compliance Specialist
Telephone: (406) 841-2362

Board Management:
Ian Marquand, Executive Officer
Board Management Bureau
Telephone: (406) 841-2360

  • Board Information
  • License Information
  • Regulations
  • Forms
  • Complaints
  • Services / Links
  • FAQ






Frequently Asked Questions

American Association For Respiratory Care Position Statements

FAQ's About the Administrative Suspension of Licenses
How do I apply for a license or temporary license?
You can download an application here.
How do I make an address change?
Please use the address change form located under the forms tab on this website or notify the board via fax or US mail.
How do I make a name change? 
Name changes must be requested in writing with documentation of the name change included (marriage license, divorce decree etc.).  If you would like a copy of your license in your new name you must include a $5.00 check or money order for a duplicate license.
When does my license expire?
The license expires May 1 and is renewed yearly.
Please see: License Renewal Information for additional information.
How do I get a duplicate license if I lost mine? 
Send the board office a written request for another license along with a $5.00 fee.
What happens if I let my license expire? 
You will have up to two years to renew and will need to pay the renewal fees and late fees and submit continuing education.
What happens if I let my license lapse past two years?
Your license will be terminated and you will need to completely reapply if you intend to practice in Montana.
How do I find out about board or committee meetings?
Go to the "Board Information” tab on this website and then click the link for “Scheduled and Proposed Board Meetings."
How do I contact the board and/or get something on a meeting agenda?
Contact the Board office by phone at 406-841-2360 or by e-mail at You can suggest or request that an item be placed on the agenda and can ask questions about licensure, renewal or anything else regarding the Board.
How do I find license or discipline information about a licensed individual?
You can go directly to the License Lookup System.  This site is a primary source for verification of licensed individual’s credentials.
How do I obtain a list of licensees? 
You can go directly to the License Download System.  This service allows you to purchase complete lists of individuals, businesses, and contractors licensed with the State of Montana through the Business Standards Division by using a credit/debit card.
What are the requirements to be licensed in Montana?
Licensure requirements can be found under the License Information tab of this website. Applications can also be found under this tab as well.
Is there a national entity for the profession?
When are my continuing education hours due and how do I apply for continuing education course approval?
Continuing education for licensees is due at licensure renewal every even numbered year. The Board requires twenty four continuing education credits be completed by the renewal deadline. Application for course approval can be made through a letter of request to the Board to review the course or program; please include a copy of the course outline or agenda, brochure, and resume of the presenters along with any other pertinent information.
Can I work on my national credential without being licensed?
No. You must have a Montana license in order to practice.
How long does it take for your office to send license verification to another state?
Verifications are normally processed within five days of the date of request.  To request a written verification from the Board, please go to “license verification request” under the “Services/Links” tab.
Who gives the Respiratory Care Practitioners national exam?
The National Board for Respiratory Care offers a national exam accepted by the Board; you can reach them at their website,, or their phone number is 913-895-4650.
Where can I find schools that offer training in the profession of respiratory care?
Please contact the NBRC for a current list of approved schools.