Board of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists contact information

301 South Park, 4th Floor (map)
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: (406) 841-2305

Board Office Contacts:

For information on applications and licensing contact:
Telephone: (406) 841-2202

For information on renewals, license verifications, and name changes contact: 
Telephone: (406) 841-2205

For information on continuing education:
Telephone: (406) 841-2204

For information on filing a complaint against a licensee contact:
Jennifer Schofield, Compliance Specialist
Telephone: (406) 841-2386

Board Management:
Cyndi Reichenbach, Executive Officer
Board Management Bureau
Telephone: (406) 841-2392

  • Board Information
  • License Information
  • Regulations
  • Forms
  • Complaints
  • Services / Links
  • FAQ






Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a license or temporary license?
How long is a temporary license granted for?
Two years.
If I am a temporary license holder how do I apply for a full license?
As soon as you have completed the Clinical Fellowship year, take and pass the Praxis exam, you may apply for a full license.
How do I make an address change?
Please use the address change form located under the forms tab on this website or notify the board via fax or US mail.
How do I make a name change? 
Name changes must be requested in writing with documentation of the name change included (marriage license, divorce decree etc.).  If you would like a copy of your license in your new name you must include a $5.00 check or money order for a duplicate license.
When does my license expire?
The license expires February 1 and is renewed yearly.
Please see: License Renewal Information for additional information.
How do I get a duplicate license if I lost mine? 
Send the board office a written request for another license along with a $5.00 fee.
What happens if I let my license expire? 
You will have up to two years to renew and will need to pay the renewal fees and late fees and submit continuing education.
What happens if I let my license lapse past two years?
Your license will be terminated and you will need to completely reapply if you intend to practice in Montana.
What is e-Pass and how do I use it?
All on-line commerce functions for the State of Montana are now using e-Pass as an additional layer of security to protect your information.  You will need to set up an e-Pass account to renew your license, purchase fishing or hunting licenses, etc. more information on e-Pass.
How do I find license or discipline information about a licensed individual?
You can go directly to the License Lookup System.  This site is a primary source for verification of licensed individual’s credentials.
How do I obtain a list of licensees? 
You can go directly to the License Download System.  This service allows you to purchase complete lists of individuals, businesses, and contractors licensed with the State of Montana through the Business Standards Division by using a credit/debit card.
What are the requirements to be licensed in Montana?
Licensure requirements can be found under the License Information tab of this website. Applications can also be found under this tab as well.
Is there a national entity for the profession?
When are my continuing education hours due and how do I apply for continuing education course approval?
The Board requires 40 hours to be completed by renewal time every ODD numbered year.  Dual licensees must submit 50 hours.  To obtain approval, submit a letter of request to the board with the agenda, brochure and resume of the presenters or providers of the continuing education program.
Can I work on my national credential without being licensed?
No. You must have a Montana license in order to practice.
How long does it take for your office to send license verification to another state?
Verifications are normally processed within five days of the date of request.  To request a written verification from the Board, please go to “license verification request” under the “Services/Links” tab.
Where can I find information on education and training treating Speech Communication Disorders?
You will need to contact The American Association of Speech-Language and Audiologists (ASHA) for a current list of schools.